Essay is a short written creative student’s work about certain subject. The main aim of writing essay is to fully describe a subject by adducing different arguments (thesis). They have to be supported with evidences and illustrated with different examples. Applying to business school you need to write several essays, from 3 to 7 in 500-2000 words (application essays). Also essay writing exercises are in such tests as GMAT and TOEFL.
The main aim of essays in GMAT and TOEFL tests is defining your language skills, your ability to operate with foreign vocabulary, educing your logical thinking skills. For each test you have to write 2 essays. You are given 30 minutes on each essay.
Writing MBA application essay takes much more time (not couple days!), it’s the most creative assignment in admission process. With the help of it entrant shows not only ability to state competently his (her) own ideas but also opens himself (herself) as an individual. Such written work has to convince admission committee that you are rich, exceptional person.
As essays play important role while applying a school the main material for them is information, examples, arguments that could favorably distinguish you from other candidates. That is why in MBA essay the advantage is given not to numbers and facts but information about you0r way of life, interesting, unusual situations etc.
Probable topics that business schools offer each year are next::
- Provide the course name, date, grade if any, and institution at which the course was or will be taken. If you wish, you may discuss other ways in which you have demonstrated strong quantitative abilities.
- If you have ever been subject to academic discipline, placed on probation, suspended or required to withdraw from any college or university, please explain. If not, please enter N/A. (An affirmative response to this question does not automatically disqualify you from admission.)
- Give us an example of a time when you displayed leadership.
- Leading in the global economy requires enabling high performance from a diverse set of employees, colleagues and partners. Tell us about a manager you've observed who enabled or inspired others to do their best work and analyze how this manager did it.
- Proceed using the following Post/Edit Response link to indicate the area on which you expect to focus the most during the MBA program.
- Please explain all gaps in your employment since earning your university degree.
- Please identify the course(s) you have taken or intend to take to demonstrate quantitative proficiency.
Probable TOEFL essays topics are:
- People attend college or university for many, different reasons (for example, new experiences, career preparation, increased knowledge). Why do you think people attend college or university? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?Parents are the best teachers. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
- A company has announced that it wishes to build a large factory near your community. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of this new influence on your community. Do you support or oppose the factory? Explain your position.
- If you could change one important thing about your hometown, what would you change? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.
- How do movies or television influence people's behavior? Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer.
Probable GMAT essays topics:
- Do you believe that flogging should be used in this country? Explain your position with support from your observations, readings, and/or experience.
- The following was used as part of an internet advertising company's appeal to businesses: "Furniture Depot employed our internet advertising company to help. Since then its sales increased by 10% over last year's totals. Furniture Depot's success demonstrates how using our internet services can increase your profitability." Describe how well reasoned you find this argument. In the discussion be sure to analyze the line of reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument.
- “Responsibility for preserving the natural environment ultimately belongs to each individual person, not to government.”
- ”The desire of corporations to maximize profits creates conflict with the general welfare of the nation at large.”